Database Ecosystems Engineer (f/m/d)
RemoteBerlin, Berlin, Germany€50,000 - €70,000 per yearEngineering
Location: Austria, Germany, Switzerland - preferred: Vienna, Dornbirn, Berlin, rest of Europe (remote)
Position: Full-time employment
Crate.io are the developers of CrateDB, a global multi-model database building upon Lucene, the same storage/index system which is the foundation of Elasticsearch and also inherited its subsystems for running a distributed application, that enables companies to access data insights at scale. The flexible, distributed database solution combines the performance of NoSQL with the power and simplicity of standards-compliant SQL. Optimized for large data volumes with high compute and data versatility requirements, CrateDB runs in the cloud, on the edge and on-premise. Crate.io was named as an Honorable Mention in the 2021 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud Database Management Systems. We are a VC and corporate funded global technology company, recognized as cutting edge by both Forbes and Gartner. Crate.io is well funded with $14M+ capital raised in our latest financing round in 2021. We are gearing up for hyper-growth, with offices in the US, Germany, Switzerland and Austria.
ABOUT THE ROLE
In this position we are looking for a jack-of-all-trades database driver and ecosystems engineer, who would love to work together with the FLOSS community and our core team to support it on drivers and adapters for CrateDB, a distributed time-series database. You will be working directly with some of our founding engineers, mostly on projects managed on public GitHub. We need your help to develop and maintain drivers and adapters for CrateDB, and also contribute to 3rd party applications and frameworks to improve their integration capabilities with CrateDB, very close to other open source software projects like SQLAlchemy, pandas, Dask, Apache Kafka, Flink, Superset, Airflow and Grafana, just to name a few. You see that we are looking for someone who lives and breathes open source.
WHAT YOU GET OUT OF THIS OPPORTUNITY
- Join a leading VC funded tech company from the pre-B stage through the exit
- Benefit from a welcoming and supportive working climate
- Be part of an open collaborative culture with “Craties” from diverse backgrounds
WHAT YOU’RE RESPONSIBLE FOR
- Develop and maintain
- Drivers for CrateDB (JDBC, Python/SQLAlchemy, etc.)
- Connections to external tools (Grafana, Tableau, Airflow, etc.)
- Internal administrative tools (crash CLI, Admin UI)
- Improve PostgreSQL-compatibility of CrateDB and its ecosystem
- Migration tools from/to other databases systems and storage formats
- Write and maintain technical documentation like reference architectures, integration examples etc.
- Work and interact with your Open Source community and technical partners on joint projects
- Support our Product Managers with technical requirements
- Support our Developer Advocacy Team to further grow our community
- Applying craftsmanship (mfx) to continuously improve and take over responsibility for existing code bases
- Knowledge about standards and protocols, and what they are used for
- Good knowledge of at least Python, and preferably experience with additional languages like Java, Rust, C++, Golang, Swift, or Zig
- Experience with test driven development
- Knowledge about versioning, packaging and shipping (in a polyglot software environment), and how software is operated in production environments
- Strong debugging skills and problem solving skills
- Existing Open Source contributions
- Self-directed, hands-on engineer, who can dig through all the obstacles involved in driving specific development efforts forward, in a "Fullstack" manner, assuring software quality, documentation, and communication, to finally ship the software component at hand
- Fluent English
NICE TO HAVE
- Knowledge and/or experience with message bus systems like AMQP, Kafka, MQTT, or ZeroMQ, and their corresponding broker implementations
- Knowledge and/or DevOps experience in containerized environments (Docker, K8s)
- Experience with modern web Frontend technologies like React
WHAT WE OFFER
- Competitive executive compensation
- Flexible working hours
- A variety of perks (e.g., financial allowances for public transportation, fitness, and education)
- Participation in our Employee Stock Options Plan
- The opportunity to become part of one of the most exciting startups in the IT scene (Winner of the 2021 IoT Evolution: Industrial IoT Product of the Year Award)
At Crate.io, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it and support it. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity.
Our work in this area typically covers a wide range of aspects. If that resonates with your skills and interests, we will be happy to hear from you. We are listing a few items, in reverse order of importance.
- Improve and evaluate our Python DBAPI and SQLAlchemy drivers, the Java JDBC and .NET drivers, specifically in high-performance scenarios. Other than working on the CrateDB drivers, we also need to constantly evaluate 3rd-party drivers, for example ODBC, to improve compatibility and performance with CrateDB.
- Help maintaining our developer backoffice infrastructure, around Jenkins, Ansible, etc., together with two other colleagues.
- Help maintaining, evolving, and modernizing the QA integration test scenarios and software build pipelines for CrateDB and the other artefacts we are shipping. It is implemented on both Jenkins and GitHub actions.
- Research, evaluate, and implement modern ways of *how to efficient data systems*, around contemporary cluster technologies in compute and storage, both on and off the cloud.
To show you something from us, and to get more insights, you are invited to dig into the details of a few selected public repositories: